Unit 2 Games
Unit 2 Games is an indie developer founded by passionate and highly-driven industry veterans, and located in Leamington Spa, UK.
We are excited to have released Crayta - an original, accessible, and collaborative game-making ecosystem, using Unreal Engine 4 on Stadia. Our goal is to iterate, improve and grow this game as a service for years to come.
Company Ethos / Statement of Intent
Here is our list of company goals, they help us focus on what’s important to us when it comes to making decisions:
- Create great games (measured by player enjoyment)
- Act ethically
- Make a positive difference
- Put people first (e.g. people over process)
- Communicate honestly and openly
- Empower and support one another and our players
- Have fun!
We are looking for a Technical Animator to:
- To assist the animation team, streamline and optimise our current processes.
- Work collaboratively with the art & programmer disciplines to overcome technical challenges and build animation tool sets.
- To help the animation team implement quality in-game character and prop animations.
- To assist with skinning, rigging and streamline the relevant pipelines of those tasks.
- Help to build tools for future challenges with animations in a UGC environment.
- Work alongside the Art Director and Principal Animator to create and use processes that maintain the animation art style.
- Build strong collaborative working relationships with all members of the team and studio, regardless of discipline or seniority.
- Understand the audience and core goals and game ethos.
- 2+ years professional experience of animation and technical animation for games.
- Proficient in the use of job relevant software e.g. Maya.
- Experience with skinning & rigging.
- Ability to utilise and develop appropriate tools and pipelines to implement, review and iterate animations.
- A strong showreel of animation work and/or technical skills
- An understanding of UE4 blueprints, scripting, animation graphs or similar animation networks.
- Strong knowledge of anatomy and best practices for character topology.
- Exhibit a strong grasp of the principles of animating the human figure.
- Experience in working with outsourcers.
- Facial animation experience.
- Familiarity with optimisation of animation (e.g. UE4 Blueprint Fast Path evaluation)
In terms of formal qualifications, it is agreed that levels of attainment should not be set. At Unit 2 Games Ltd we adopt an approach that relevant higher qualifications are ‘preferred’ as opposed to ‘required’. Respective artistic skills are paramount and to be considered for this role demonstrable and relevant skills and ability will be expected and sought.
We aim to build an inclusive and diverse development studio that creates experiences that are as accessible as possible to a wide variety of players and abilities. We therefore strongly encourage applicants from backgrounds that aren’t always well-represented within the industry.
Salary - competitive and depends on experience
Unit 2 Games Ltd offers a generous package of benefits and an emphasis on a stable work/life balance.
Currently Unit 2 Games are mostly working from home under government guidelines. The role would likely involve working remotely for the near future and then when safe to do so, in the office based in Leamington Spa.
To apply please email Careers [at] Unit2Games.com. Please note, you must have the right to work within the UK for us to be able to move forwards with your application.